Friday, May 22, 2009

Traeton's latest adventure

Jeff is bugging me about getting a few pictures on the blog about Traeton, but to be honest I don't know if I have formed my thoughts enough to say anything coherent. My sweet Traeton had a stroke on Wednesday night. We went to the Doctor and initially we were told that he had a head trauma-maybe a concusion because he said that he hit his head against the neighbor boys while jumping on the tramp. He came home and said that he was having a hard time walking. I watched him walk and he stumbled over to the left side. When I looked at him I knew immediately that something was not right. He could not smile his beautiful smile. The left side just frowned and his eye had no shape to it. As time progressed we realized that he had some slight paralysis all along his left side. The Doctor said it was probably Bell's palsy, ordered a CT and we were off to Radiology. The CT looked fine so we were sent home to see how it goes. Well, Thursday morning when he hadn't gotten any better the Doctor wanted to see him again. After checking him out he decided to call the Neurologist at Primary Children's Hospital. She wanted an MRI and to see him as soon as possible. It was at this point that I heard the words-it might be a stroke.

If you can imagine me sitting there in the doctor's office with Maleena in my arms, Miguel next to me and Traeton laying on my lap, I don't know if I fully heard the words. I didn't have time to process, because the Doctor stated that we would need to get an MRI as soon as possible. Immediately I said okay, what do we do. The doctor asked if I could get some help with the kids. Jeff was at work, because we didn't expect anything to this degree. I called my parents and Jeff and then things started moving pretty fast. We went over to Radiology and then found out that we were going to be life Flighted to Primary Children's. After a quick assessment we decided that I would fly with Traeton. That was not the most pleasant way to go, not at all what I expected. It was beautiful, but both Trae and I were getting sick. Unfortunately for Trae, he could not fight off the sickness and had a miserable ride.

Once in Salt Lake the MRI showed that he did indeed have a stroke deep in his brain on the right side. It was isolated to a small area so that was great news. Through consequent tests we have found out that everything looks normal and there is no real reason for the stroke. I still can't believe that my child, nearly just 6 years old had a stroke. Even saying the words tend to hurt. I keep thinking that I am going to look over at him and he is going to smile his big, beautiful smile and look at me with that twinkle in his eye. I am quickly growing to love the new, beautiful smile he shares with me. He is amazing!! I am so impressed with his fight for normalcy and his quick desire to do things on his own. It will be some time before he is back to normal, if ever, but he is on a great journey. We all are confident that he will do most all things as time progresses. We are thankful for all of the prayers and support. We have found that it could have been so much worse and for that we are so grateful. Trae is strong, stronger than I ever knew. Probably stronger than I am at this point. I know this is getting pretty long, but we wanted you all to know how he is doing. He is getting better every minute. He is walking and talking better and getting his sweet personality back. For that we are most grateful.

 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Maria...first, I love you. Second so glad to hear your baby is coming home. Third...tell Trae he seriously deserves a pepperoni pizza from Auntie Tara. Just have him tell me when and I am there. And I can't write anything else cause I start crying. You are tested and I don't know why, but I know the Lord loves you very much and has created an opportunity for blessings to come your way.

Sandy N said...

Wow I hears about this from Tara and Sharens blogs a few days ago and I have been checking back to get updates. I Love you Maria adn your beautiful family. We have been prying for Trae and your family. WE love you and I hope we will see you at the reunion.

Sharen said...

Maybe I could take him on Friday to swim gym? Or we could all go which ever! If not thats ok,But I would like to see him before we go to Texas.

Happy Hermies said...

Glad to hear that all is well...we've been praying for your beautiful family. What an inspiration you all for the rest of us. Keep us posted on his successful recovery! Lots and lots of love!